More about hyperlinking

Nick Jungman has written a handy guide to hyperlinking that I would like you to read.

Notice what he says about making it easy for readers to hit the link, and easy for them to predict what will be there.

How’s your hyperlinking?

11 Responses to More about hyperlinking

1. Ben Frentzel says:

Amen. I’m glad this has been brought up.

I write for the German/Russian department’s EuroKulture blog and have always wondered about how we linked our stories since we link to tons of blogs. Some of our writers use the “here” link and others turn entire sentences into hyperlinks.

When linking multiple words, it gets a little awkward when the link stretches two lines. I try to keep mine at a reasonable size.

2. mmarkelz says:

But is it a bad thing that I like the “click here” method?

When I’m skimming a page, the word “here” in blue has come to be what I expect, it’s usually at the end of a sentence, and pretty much assures me I’ll get more info. I think it’s so common it can’t and shouldn’t go away, necessarily.

As for it being hard to click on, I’m not sure I buy that.

A helpful reminder, indeed.

The point about a link adding context is valuable. I know I’ve linked to homepages or other easy-to-find sites simply for the sake of linking.

4. I’ve been attempting to do this in my stories and blog entries, and I do feel like it’s a better method, as well as more tempting to click on.

Knowing exactly what to expect makes me much more inclined to want to explore, so I’m really glad this point was brought up, because I think it’s something easy to adapt and something that’s becoming necessary as a web-based publication.

5. Sean Leahy says:

I can identify with the frustrations of hyperlinks that are too short.

Having to get your cursor on a tiny, exact point can distract you from the flow of information gathering.

Whenever I see hyperlinks that span three or four words, I feel more likely to click on them.

6. This is really helpful. A lot of what he talks about, I’ve noticed as a reader–I just never thought about it until now.

Thanks for sharing this!

7. Caitlin Wherley says:

I find myself doing “click here” links on the neighborhoods blog, and more precise linking for the homepage.
    I’m not sure why I do this, but should there be a hard and fast rule for both?
    And when I’m reading something online, I’m much more apt to click on a link that provides some context as to what I’m actually clicking on, rather than “click here” links. Sometimes as writers, I think we forget how we prefer things as readers.

8. jaclyndipasquale says:

I think it’s important to make links as specific as possible so readers know what they are being sent to. One of my biggest pet peeves is when bloggers add a ton of links but never clarify what they are, so I’m really glad Nick made sure to touch on that point.

9. baileywrites says:

“not links for links’ sake.” Yup. Sometimes I’ll find a link in an article on nytimes.com that links to Barack Obama.

Really? As if we don’t know who that is. Sure, it gives a nice history of his campaign, election, and major things he’s done in the White House. But. Still.

I think this is another example of what Nick is talking about when he tells us not to “baby” our readers. I say only give additional, helpful information. Otherwise, don’t hyperlink. Don’t waste your readers’ time; trust their intelligence.

10. lizhartnett says:

Some really helpful hints. But I agree with Michelle; I kind of like the “click here” method. I can’t explain why, but I do. I think it’s like what she said. I know that I’ll get more information by “clicking here.” But I’m open to trying new ways and I think that adding more context to a hyperlink is useful.

I am also grateful that he mentioned that we actually should be hyperlinking other publications in our stories. This is something that I have been wondering about for awhile.