Just because Ira Glass says so (and it’s true)

9 Responses to Just because Ira Glass says so (and it’s true)

1. karenemiller says:

I don’t really have anything too deep to say about this other than I found it really encouraging. So, thanks.

2. roxanne says:

I have paid John Schneller (my editor) a couple visits over this so far this semester! It’s good to hear that not being satisfied with what I’m creating is normal and that it just takes time for some of us to get to the place of “finding our voice.”

Knowing that it will take a lot of work and perseverance gives me hope. It means if I stick with this process, it will get better.

3. Christina Trester says:

I agree, this was very encouraging. I think a lot of us probably aren’t doing as good of work as we would like to/see other people do but it’s encouraging to know we aren’t the only ones going through it

4. emilyg87 says:

I second that. I think there’s a common perception that creative genius is spontaneous and you either have it or you don’t. I remember my classics professors in college relating the legend that Virgil wrote the Aeneid daily for 10 years, cutting down hundreds of verses to just 3 lines, every day. Greatness is hard work! And it’s refreshing to hear someone acknowledge it.

5. Su, Haoyun says:

I just shared it on Facebook several days ago! It really cheers me up.

6. Very interesting and encouraging!

7. Carlos D. Navarro says:

A nice source of encouragement for those of us who are new in this craft/profession (some days it’s more difficult to define this than others). The boldfacing and italicizing is so eloquent that all I was left with at the end was a mix of cautious optimism and a big desire to write as many stories as I can, even if I know they are probably bound to be OK material, and not great stuff.

8. kaitlinsteinberg says:

I want to be Ira Glass when I grow up. Or Anthony Bourdain.